Monday, February 24, 2014

Dry No More

So, I must beg forgiveness for not updating this as I should.  Being without water was much more stressful than I had anticipated.  I am amused at myself, because of what I felt was the biggest hardship - it wasn't the not being able to flush the toilet that got me, it wasn't the inability to shower at my house, it was being unable to wash dishes, of all things, that got me. That kept me from cooking, which is one of the things that relaxes me, and also from washing my brushes when I am done painting, which is another activity that feeds me. 

Update on that front, almost a month to the day that we lost water, it was returned to us.  It required a hole about 4 feet by 3 feet and 6 feet deep to get there.  The main access line was frozen only a foot away from the water main, so there wasn't much that we could have done.  They initially tried to thaw the blockage using a water jetter shoved up the pipes through our basement, but it just wasn't budging. The plus of that attempt was that we were able to fill several Rubbermaid tubs full of the discarded water, so we didn't have to melt snow to flush our toilet anymore.  But, at last, we have running water. I come home and turn on the faucet just because I can.  We have a faucet in the basement running 24/7 with a stream the size of a pencil to keep the water from freezing up again, so I'm sure that our water bill will be cringeable, but the thought of going without water again will most likely make me shell out any price.

So, back to our regularly scheduled program of delicious things that I've unearthed from church cookbooks.  I'm so glad to be cooking again.  I think I've been making things that require boiling water just because I don't have to worry about conserving it so much again.  I suppose this is how people feel who have been starving for a long time, and are suddenly faced with bounty.  I made spaghetti, meatball subs, and then what is the first thing I select out of one of my vintage cookbooks?  A recipe that doesn't require me to cook anything!  LOL 

This recipe comes from a cookbook called "A Cookbook and More" from the Happy Siesta Nursing Home Auxiliary.  I bought it because of the name of the nursing home.  They're in Remsen, Iowa, and this cookbook was published in commemoration of the Remsen centennial in 1989. The home has been in operation since 1965, and has been the home of folks such as Tillie, Melitta, Dora, Ervin and Bernard. 

I was flipping through just looking at recipes, and "Seafood Pizza" caught my eye.  Now, what in the world could that be, considered that this is an incredibly land-locked state, and it couldn't possibly call for a wealth of actual seafood.  Well, as you'll see, it calls for one kind of seafood, one of the only kinds you could get in Iowa, and it came in a can - Shrimp.  One of the other popular canned seafood/shellfish items I've noticed in these cookbooks are: smoked and regular canned oysters, anchovies, and sardines.  Later in the 70s and 80s you'll see canned crab and herring.  So, I made seafood pizza, and it was delicious. I did not use canned shrimp, I used frozen instead, and that is simply my preference and the convenience of having frozen seafood available. I can imagine a lady serving this in her black silk organza cocktail apron and everyone thinking it was quite fancy as they sipped on their gimlets and vodka tonics.


Seafood Pizza

8 oz. package of cream cheese
Can of small shrimp (I used a package of frozen baby shrimp)
Chopped green onion
Chopped green peppers
Chopped black olives (or green if you prefer)
Grated Cheddar cheese
Bottle of  cocktail sauce

In a deep pie plate, spread the cream cheese, then cover with the shrimp.  Then layer the green onions, green peppers, olives and cheddar cheese over the shrimp.  The amount that you want to put on the dip is entirely up to you.  The recipe calls for adding the cocktail sauce between the layers, but the way that it was written, I didn't notice until I had already layered everything else, so I simply poured the cocktail sauce over the top.  Serve with Club crackers or if you want a lighter alternative, Reduced Fat Wheat Thins (wHeat Thins).

It was a tasty and fun dinner in front of the T.V., and would be great to take to a party if you don't have much time to fix something, or just forgot. It literally just took the prep time of chopping and throwing everything together. 

So, hopefully, we're back in the saddle again.  Now all we have to worry about is when spring is going to get here doggone it!  It's supposed to low temps and snow on and off this week.  Oh well, I'll just stay inside and cook and read.  BTW, I'm reading an Advanced Reader's Copy of Frog Music by Emma Donoghue right now.  She's the author that wrote Room, if anyone else read that.  This one I think is even better.  I'm not going to say anything about it, because I'll review it here when I'm done.  So, fix yourself some hot cocoa, and enjoy the rest of your night lovelies!  I'll see you soon I'm sure.

Reading: Frog Music by Emma Donoghue
              Mercy Falls by William Kent Krueger
Listening to: Tribute by Nora Roberts
Music to write to: Alex Pangman

No comments:

Post a Comment